McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge
Q: How does eTakeoff compare to Dodge View?
A: Click here for a feature comparison chart
Q: How can I configure eTakeoff to look like Dodge View?
A: Click here to watch a video on configuring eTakeoff to look like Dodge View.
Q: How do I configure McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge to interface with eTakeoff?
A: You must download eTakeoff and install it on your computer by clicking on any of the links found in McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge home page. The videos below show the process for different browsers:
- Navigate to a project of interest and click on the Plans tab of the project.
- If you wish, check the box to the left of the plan you wish to view first.
- Click on the Takeoff Button.
- eTakeoff will automatically launch and display the selected drawing or the first drawing in the list.
Q: How do I view other McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge plans for the same project in eTakeoff?
A: Once you have a McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge project opened in eTakeoff, you are linked to all other plans for that project. To view other plans in the project, click on the Document List pull down menu.
- Select the plan you want to view.
- You may be asked by eTakeoff if you want to save the drawing you were viewing as part of a project in eTakeoff.
Click here to watch a video about creating projects in eTakeoff.
- Select “File/Save” from the main menu (or press the “Save” button on the main toolbar).
The “New Project Information” window will be displayed.
- Complete the other project information and click the “Finish” button to create a folder for the project in the eTakeoff Projects folder on your desktop.
- Select “File/Download Multiple Drawings…” from the main menu (or press the “Download Multiple Drawings” button on the main toolbar).
- If you have not created an eTakeoff project for the McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge project, the “New Project Information” window will be displayed.
Complete the other project information and click on the “Finish button.
- The “Download from Planroom” window will be displayed showing a list of plans available for download. (If you do not see a list of plans to download, click on the “Add” button.)
- All plans that have not been downloaded to your computer will be shown and checked to download. Un-check any plans you DON’T want to download.
- Click OK and eTakeoff will download the plans selected. You can click on “Hide” so that the plans will continue to be downloaded in the background while you view plans and take measurements.
Q: Why do I receive a message asking “Do you want to register eTakeoff as the default application for PLN files?
A: McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge has historically distributed drawing files using the extension “.pln”. These were actually TIFF files. They just had a different extension. McGraw-Hill’s Dodge View application registered itself as the default application for PLN files. If you are using eTakeoff in place of Dodge View, you may want to register eTakeoff as the default application for PLN files. Press F1 from the PLN File Registration window to get help for this panel. * NOTE: You may need to run eTakeoff as “Administrator” to be able to click on Yes to register this setting.
Q: Why don’t certain features work when I view plans from a different source other than McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge?
A: The Basic (free) version eTakeoff has limited functionality. It allows you to view plans and take measurements – but not save them. The next level up (Pro) offers considerably more functionality.
By special arrangement with McGraw-Hill, the Basic version of eTakeoff is boosted to Pro functionality when working with documents provided by McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge. When you subsequently open non-Dodge documents, the functionality reverts to Basic.